Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What a Phony!

Have you ever felt like a phony, a fake, a fraud? It's as if you are at work and then suddenly someone will walk in and point to you and say, "What's she doing here? She's not qualified, capable, educated!" This is especially true if you starting a new endeavor. Do you think any of the Presidents ever felt that way? I bet at least some of them have. I once saw an interview with Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore and all three of them admitted that every time they take on a new project, they feel completely incompetent and the fear that they will be called out as frauds. WOW!

If we persist however, slowly we grow into our new roles. Whether we are new parents concerned that we are in over our heads, (I remember when my son was just two weeks old, I broke down and in between tears and sobs, I confessed to my husband that I didn't think I was capable of raising a child for 18 years!) or we have a new position at work or we are working our way through a new creative endeavor, slowly we find our rhythm and start to feel a new level of confidence and competence.

So it goes with children and learning. Can you image a director telling Ms. Streep that she's not really acting? Or someone telling Bill Gates, that without a college degree he can't possibly be a billionaire? So let's never tell a child who brings us their scribbles that they can't write. Or tell a child that the story they are telling us is not what is written on the page. Kids need to grow into their roles as readers and writers. If we support them through the process, like a great director, soon they will blossom into their roles.

"I see education as creating in our classrooms the kind of world we believe in, and then inviting children to role-play their way into being the learners we want them to be."~Jerry Harste~

2 comments:

  1. Very important ideas. I had to remind my son the other day that his younger sister was indeed 'reading' even though she was only talking about the pictures. Still, that is a step in the process of reading! I have to remind myself of this concept while teaching, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your daughter is reading. Just yesterday my girl read "play structure." I said, "Wow, structure is not an easy word and you breezed right through it." She said, "Mom, I didn't read it. I read play and then I saw the picture of the structure. I knew the word wasn't ground or room so I figured it was structure." "Well, that's what really good readers do!" I responded. She just beamed.

      Delete