Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fairy Tales

This week we are focusing on fairy tales. The first one we read was Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It's one of my favorites! There is repetition and somehow the bears are not scary like the wolf in Red Riding Hood. In fact, in the one I read it states that the bears are polite and very well mannered. I love any book that gives me a chance to talk about manners. After reading the story each child drew and colored a picture of a bear. In the afternoon the kids put on a play! We used our housekeeping and reading corner furniture for props and used the napping mats for the beds. One girl was Goldilocks, one child was papa bear. He carried a stuffed teddy baby that was baby bear. One child was mama bear and the rest were the audience. What fun. It was a good way for me to see how much of the story they remembered and understood. Later in the afternoon, they organized and put on their own play. They made some changes as some of the kids had gone home, but all in all it was a wonderful production.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I enjoy fairy tales, but a few months ago I had a pang in my heart when I read Snow White to my little girl. It seemed a bit demeaning to women. Other than that, I really have a fun time reading them. Have you ever come across a problem like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairy tales are interesting. Some a demeaning to women, some are scary, but I do think they have their value. I think I'm going to address this further in a blog post! :) Thanks Lauralee for the idea.

    ReplyDelete